Easy Steps to Natural Breast Health
Every time we read a magazine or turn on the TV it seems that we are learning of something else that could cause breast cancer. Just about everyone knows someone that has had or is currently fighting breast cancer. Knowing what steps you can take to help prevent yourself from becoming a victim of breast cancer is one of the best preventative measures that you can take.
Making simple and smart lifestyle choices are your best weapon against breast cancer. Here are some things you can do to better your chances of staying free of breast cancer.
1. Avoiding junk food and eating a diet high in fiber and low in saturated fat is beneficial to breast health. Foods that are high in anti-oxidants and contain the vitamins A, C, and E as well as selenium and beta carotene help your body’s natural defenses to fight the disease. Eating green leafy vegetables and fruit on a daily basis will help to supply your body with these nutrients. Flaxseed is another supplement that can be used to promote breast health. It contains lignans that bind to estrogens in the digestive tract. By supplementing your diet with flaxseed you can cleanse these estrogens from your system.
2. Exercise can decrease your risk of getting breast cancer by up to 50%. Getting 45 minutes to 1 hour of exercise 3 to 4 times per week will increase the amount of lean body mass. Muscle does not generate estrogen like fat does. Exercise affects the endocrine system and it helps to balance the hormones and helps the lymphatic system detoxify the body.
3. Most breast lumps are found by women themselves. Doing a self breast exam is an important step in detecting and treating breast cancer. Until you are very familiar with the way your breast look and feel it can be frustrating to perform your own exam. However, this is one place that the old adage practice makes perfect works well. Perform an exam at least once a month. Waiting until several days after your period when your breast are no longer tender is the best time to examine your breast. Women who have already gone through menopause or for other reasons no longer have menses can choose a day that is easy for them to remember like the first day or the last day of the month.
4. Many women do not realize that hypothyroidism precedes most forms of breast disease. Women are 8 times more likely to suffer from a thyroid problem than men. It is during the perimenopausal and menopausal stages that thyroid issues usually appear. It is during this time that the endocrine system is going through many changes. Some of the signs that you may have a thyroid condition are: fatigue, dry skin, puffy eyes in the morning, PMS, memory loss ,gaining weight or the inability to lose weight, and muscle aches.
Other precautions that can be taken that promote healthy breast include:
- Using natural deodorants instead of deodorants that contain chemicals.
- Reducing exposure to radiation by using thermography in place of the radiation equivalent mammography when possible.
- Get more sunshine. Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that has been shown to inhibit growth of breast cancer cells
By doing these few simple things you will increase your chances of living a life free from breast cancer while enjoying being an all around healthier person.
Image by Naval Langa
Learn More About.. women's health, breast health, breasts