475 Toxic Chemicals in just One Shower

shower with organic schampoo

You take a shower, fix your hair and put on make-up.

It’s supposed to make you feel clean  and renewed. But this might give you the opposite feeling.

The shower might have added 475 toxic chemicals to your body. Unfortunately, the skin absorbs what you put on in. That is just from one shower!

A lot of people apply lipstic and lotion several times a day. At night we wash of all the excess make-up and lotion but what happens to the toxins? Many of the absorbed, potentially toxic chemicals aren’t flushed out of the body. Instead they build up day after day, year after year, compromising your health.

Here are some alarming facts about the average number of chemicals found in everyday personal care products:

Product

Chemicals

Most worrying chemicals & some of their effects

Shampoo:

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate; Tetrasodium and Propbylene Glycol – possible eye damage

Eye Shadow:

Polythylene terephthalate – linked to cancer

Lipstick:

Polymenthyl methacrylate – also linked to cancer

Nail Varnish:

Phthalates – linked to fertility issues and problems in developing babies

Perfume:

250

Benzaldehyde – linked to kidney damage

Fake Tan:

Ethyl/Methyl/Propylparabens – possible hormonal disruption

Hairspray:

Octinoxate, Isophthalates – possible hormonal disruption, linked to change in cell structure

Blusher:

Ethyl/Methyl/Propylparabens – possible hormonal disruptions

Foundation:

Polymethyl methacrylates – possibly disrupts immune system, linked to cancer

Deodorant:

Isopropyl Myristate, ‘Parfum’ – possible respiratory problems

Body Lotion:

Methyl/Propylparabens, Polyethylene Glycol, also found in oven cleaners – possible hormonal disruption

The idea of adding potentially harmful toxins to your you body everyday is pretty unpleasant.

How do you know How Bad Your Products are?

Luckily the Environmental Working Group has set-up an free searchable database of toxic ingredients in cosmetic and personal care products.

I recommend you go there and check your personal products. Though I need to warn you – You might not like what you see.

I checked mine and that’s why I use  MiEssence Organic Skin Care . They are all in the green.

Image by http://www.flickr.com/photos/wim314/ / CC BY-ND 2.0

Learn More About.. , ,

Comments

7 Responses to “475 Toxic Chemicals in just One Shower”

1. John from HGH Reviews on February 26th, 2010 6:53 am

It appears that women are at a very high risk. I never thought that these products you (women) are using can be toxic. I appreciate you posting this information. I’ll better warn my wife with that. She uses a lot and different beauty products so much.

2. Carolin on March 4th, 2010 11:35 am

Unfortunately it’s not just about women. Most men use shampoo, deodorant and prefume in some form and that add up to a lot too.

3. steve from Skin Care Products on March 8th, 2010 6:07 am

Its true that its not about woman but it seems woman may be more vulnerable than man. because most of the products mentioned there are very widely used by woman over man, to be frank I am a man but I hardly use perfumes and I prefer to spray my deodorant over my shirt rather than exposing it to bare skin.

4. Carolin on March 11th, 2010 2:40 pm

Good of you Steve.
    I agree, in general women use a lot more toxic skin products than men. When I see all the commercials for men lotion, I can’t help thinging oh, no go down that road.

Deodorant over your shirt. Interesting. That’s what I do with bug spray when I don’t have a natural option available. Doesn’t it stain?

5. oxygen energy on March 15th, 2010 8:29 am

This is very alarming. Toxic chemicals are part of our everyday lives. I don’t think we can do anything about it. I don’t think I can live without putting on make-up, or use shampoo or apply lotion after shower. Anyways, thank you for this good post and making us aware of reality.

6. Carolin on March 17th, 2010 9:54 pm

I don’t think that many of us wants to stop using shampoo and make-up. But we need to get the word out that there are better alternatives.

7. jazhmel on August 10th, 2010 3:31 am

I am using shampoo and lotion everyday. I do not know that they are dangerous. I will now lessen using such product. I will also tell my sisters about this.