Cheap and Easy Ways to Avoid H1N1

swine flu prevention

This message just landed in my inbox. It’s great to hear someone talk about easy and inexpensive ways to avoid getting the flu. Let’s face it most of us will be exposed to the virus. The question is what do we can do to avoid it becoming a flu.

Dr Goyal has 6 very easy steps to stay healthy this fall/winter.

Dr. Vinay Goyal is an MBBS,DRM,DNB (Intensivist and Thyroid specialist) having clinical experience of over 20 years. He has worked in institutions like Hinduja Hospital , Bombay Hospital,  Saifee Hospital, Tata Memorial etc..

Presently, he is heading our Nuclear Medicine Department and Thyroid clinic at Riddhivinayak Cardiac and Critical Centre, Malad (W).

The following message given by him makes a lot of sense and is important for everyone to know:

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it’s almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with in spite of all precautions. Contact with is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (except to eat or bathe).

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at using a Neti pot to clean nasal cavities, but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

I find it very refreshing to hear some more useful tips than cover your cough. If I judge by the number of kids that are sick in the local schools here I think it’s about time I implement these steps in our family.

Image by http://www.flickr.com/photos/4yas/ / CC BY 2.0

Learn More About.. , , ,

Comments

8 Responses to “Cheap and Easy Ways to Avoid H1N1”

1. Quilted Nursery Bedding on November 5th, 2009 9:49 am

Thank you so much for this advice. We already do most of these in our house and really hope we’ll keep flu away.

Your number 3 advice I didn’t really know so we’re going to start doing that as well.

By any chance, do you have any advice for toddlers who go to nursery? Mine does and he always seems to get all kinds of illnesses from attending school. I always wash his hands whenever he comes from school and he takes some homeopathic vitamins to boost his immune system.

Apart from that is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks a lot

Arianne
    .-= Quilted Nursery Bedding´s last blog ..Beach Crib Bedding Sets Perfect For Little Beach Bums =-.

2. Jim from Jule of the Orient Jiaogulan Tonic on November 10th, 2009 3:57 am

Great article – great tips – I was also reading how important Vitamin D was a boosting immunity and preventing H1N1 – Side Note: Anyone taking Statin drugs should take a Vitamin D supplement – when statin drugs lower cholesterol, they inhibit vitamin D production. They also lower CoQ10, which is essential for heart health.

3. Cold Sickness Prevention Tips -Boost Immune System « LifePlus Vitamins Health and Nutrition Blog on November 11th, 2009 11:50 am

[...] Cheap and Easy Ways to Avoid Becoming Ill – Click Here! [...]

4. Carolin on November 19th, 2009 1:01 am

It felt really important to share these tips. So many people have been sick here in Michigan and with 3 kids in elementary/pre-school I felt that we were really exposed.

5. Carolin on November 19th, 2009 1:24 am

Toddlers are hard.

Number 4 works on my toddler.

For the throat I give her fresh lemon juice with honey (only give honey to kids over 1). I usually squeeze in a mandarin too to make it less sour. I just use a little bit of juice and a lot of honey and I let her eat it with a spoon. She loves it. The combination lemon juice and honey is great for your throat.

I feed her as much kiwi, mandarins, bell peppers and other good sources of vitamin C as I can. I even serve it before dinner since that is usually the time when she eats really well. For some reason my picky kids always eat what I put on the kitchen table while I make dinner.

Have a look at the sneaky chef. They have great ways to hide healthy foods in your kids favorite foods.

Carolin

6. Darvin from Discount Comforter Set on January 7th, 2010 2:12 pm

I truly appreciate these tips on how to avoid the H1N1 virus. There’s so much in the new about how dangerous it is and how quickly it has spread, but not enough about how to avoid it. Also, I’m not a fan of vaccines, so these NON-vaccine related tips are perfect for me.

Thanks again.
    .-= Darvin @ Discount Comforter Set´s last blog ..Clearance Bed in a Bag =-.

7. Ron on January 10th, 2010 1:34 pm

Thank you for the information so we can keep this flu away.

8. Sinus Relief on January 15th, 2010 4:21 am

Hey thank you for the tips! We really need to be educated enough on how to get rid of that virus. This is a big help. Thanks again!