How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Treat Acne

By pam

Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) - cultivated by Arthur Chapman on Flickr

is a pure essential oil from the leaves of the Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia). It is is a potent antiseptic and anti-bacterial that is excellent for the treatment of acne.

Tea tree oil has the ability to kill bacteria thereby reducing acne and preventing them from coming back. If you have noticed, benzoyl peroxide is the most common ingredient of most over-the-counter acne products. But many of these creams or lotions bring about itching, burning or stinging sensation among many other side effects. Recent studies have shown that tea tree oil have the same anti-acne benefits less the painful and annoying side effects.

Here’s how to use tea tree oil to treat acne:

• Use a drop of tea tree essential oil on acne spots before going to bed.
  • Mix 5 to 6 drops of tea tree essential oil with 1/3 oz. or 10 ml. carrier oil (grapeseed oil) and apply on scars.
  • Use a Q tip to make sure you apply it on old scars only.
  • Mix 2 to 3 drops of tea tree essential oil with vitamin E oil if acne is still red and if skin is prone to acne.
  • If you have back acne, pour 9 to 10 drops of tea tree essential oil into your bath water.

Don’t get discouraged when you can’t see the noticeable benefits after a few days. It may take a little longer so just keep using it continuously for a few weeks and you will see. In an all-natural and healthy way, your acne will be reduced and you can eventually say goodbye to acne forever.

Image by Arthur Chapman.

Learn More About.. ,

Comments

11 Responses to “How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Treat Acne”

1. Tuesday from Get Rid of Acne on October 20th, 2009 12:41 am

I love TTO . Had a great deal of success and you advice is right on point.
    .-= Tuesday@Get Rid of Acne´s last blog ..Fighting Acne =-.

2. Rob from Vegan Products on November 9th, 2009 11:35 am

I’ve used Tea Tree Oil on many occasions myself. I did once have a slight skin reaction when using it neat though so always dilute it in some carrier oil before use now. It’s very versatile stuff though.

3. Shaun from best way healing scabs on December 30th, 2009 5:04 pm

I love the smell of Tea tree and have used it many times, but found it didn’t work on my rosacea and it made my partner’s hands very dry. I am sure it is a good remedy for many but not for all. I cleared my rosacea eventually with liquid colloidal silver which is also a natural anti-bacterial
    .-= Shaun@ best way healing scabs´s last blog ..What To Know About Teen Acne Problems =-.

4. marja from Natural Acne Remedy on January 5th, 2010 6:05 am

I have also noticed that tea tree oil makes skin dry, but lavender oil is as efficient and does not dry my skin.
    .-= marja @ Natural Acne Remedy´s last blog ..Hide acne =-.

5. Sinus Relief on January 15th, 2010 5:14 am

I always have tea tree oil at home. My family loves it!

6. Alba from microdermabrasion acne on March 16th, 2010 7:52 pm

If you want a good at home acne treatment, try microdermabrasion treatment kits for home use. These kits provide the benefit of microdermabrasion techniques while allowing you to do it in your home, which eliminates the need to find time to work several appointments into your schedule. Not only do they save you time, but microdermabrasion home treatments kits can also save you money over the costly visits to a spa and they really work.

7. Hanson on September 17th, 2010 1:02 pm

I have used tea tree before and it worked fairly well on my pimples. It takes a little time to work, but it does work.
    .-= Hanson´s last blog ..“Monex systematically underpaid their employees“ =-.

8. Carolin on September 23rd, 2010 1:57 pm

Tea tree oil is also great for getting rid of or preventing head lice.

9. lou from Endermologie bromsgrove on November 17th, 2010 6:29 am

Is it really that good, can it get rid of acne for good. Would be amazing if it can, I am at my wits end with trying to rid myslef of acne.

10. Microdermabrasion on December 20th, 2010 1:13 pm

Tea Tree Oil is also an excellent treatment for cold sores and cuts! What can’t it do?

11. Lake Oswego Salon on January 5th, 2011 2:56 pm

This is great news! Another method is to use less face rinsing and cleaning to allow you skin to naturally fight off the infection. Remember to eat plenty of carrots, too!