All You Need To Know About Anthocyanins
Anthocyanin is generally known as a cancer-fighting antioxidant but let’s get to know more about this nutrient to appreciate its importance and why we need to include it in our diet.
What are anthocyanins?
- They are pigments that give fruits, vegetables and flowers their red, purple and blue colors.
- There are more than 300 different kinds of this antioxidant in plants.
- At this point, berries are the most abundant source of this nutrient.
- It is advised that you eat a variety of foods to get a wide range of anthocyanins.
Why are anthocyanins good for you?
- They are one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- They travel throughout the body to protect your blood vessels and nervous system.
- Beneficial to your heart and brain.
- Research has shown that they may help ward off diabetes, bolster eyesight and lower risks of some types of cancer.
Where can you find anthocyanins?
- From berries such as acai, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, red grapes, cranberries and red currants.
- They can also be found in red cabbage, sweet potatoes, red onions and eggplant.
- Right now, there’s no reported risk from getting too much from this nutrient, so eat up!
Make sure you include anthocyanins in your daily diet. Besides, the sources of this nutrient are also delicious, you can’t say no to them.
Source: Healthy Eats
Image by ellenprather95.
Learn More About.. vegetables, anthocyanins, blueberries, antioxidants, berries