Healthy Recipe; Non-Fattening Bacon Pie
If you like to eat healthy bacon is probably not the first food you think about.
But in this recipe I use the bacon as a spice instead of as the main ingredient. Since I’ve excluded all the fat cheese you actually end up with a great tasting none fattening bacon pie.
This recipe is includes no dairy products.
1,3 cups (3 dl) chopped spinach
1 chopped leek
3 fresh garlic cloves finely chopped
0.2 lb (100 grams) bacon
1,3 cups (3dl) whole spelt flour
½ cup (1dl) olive oil
1 cup (2,5dl) rice or oats milk
1. Put the oven on 390 F or 200 ºC
2. Gently fry spinach, leek and garlic together until soft. In a separate frying pan fry bacon chopped in small pieces until it starts to become crunchy. Let the crunchy bacon rest on a kitchen paper to remove excess fat.
3. Start with the crust. Put spelt flour and some salt in a bowl and stir with a spoon. Add olive oil and continue to stir. Fit into a pie plate. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
4. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add rice or oats milk and a dash of cayenne pepper.
5. Spoon the spinach/leek mixture into the prepared pie crust. Add bacon on top. Then pour over the egg mixture. (You can stop here and keep the pie in the fridge or freezer for later use)
6. Bake in oven until the top is golden brown, and an inserted tooth pick comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
Serve the pie with fresh vegetables.
Everybody loves this pie; my meat loving father, my hungry brother and my picky kids. While your add it double the recipe and put one pie in the freezer.
Learn More About.. healthy cooking, recipes